|Title of Subject||BE 103 Introduction to Sustainable Engineering
|Name of Staff||Mr. Jinesh K J
|Branch & Sem||S1 Common to all|
The purpose of this course is:-
- To have an increased awareness among students on issues in areas of sustainability
- To have an insight into global environmental issues
- To establish a clear understanding of the role and impact of various aspects of engineering and engineering decisions on environmental, societal, and economic problems.
Sustainability- need and concept, understanding sustainability and threats, environment acts and legislations for protection of resources; Different types of tools for assessing sustainability in engineering, Environmental Impact Assessment studies; Energy, Conventional and renewable sources, Green buildings, green materials; Natural resources and their pollution, preservation of resources, treatment of pollutants, Different types of waste, waste to energy concept, Global effects of pollution
The student will be
- Able to appreciate and explain the different types of environmental pollution problems and their sustainable solutions
- Able to apply the concepts of sustainability in their respective area of specialization
- Mackenthun, K.M., Basic Concepts in Environmental Management, Lewis Publication, London,
- Introduction to Environmental Engineering: special indian edition,Mackenzie Davis, David Cornwell, Amazon.com
- Anil Markandya, Climate Change and Sustainable Development: Prospects for Developing Countries, Routledge
- EIA Guidelines, Notification of Govt of India, Environment Impact Assessment, 2006
- Text book for Environmental studies, Erach Bharucha, UGC, NewDelhi, ebook, collegesat.du.ac.in/UG/Environmental%20Studies_ebook.pdf
- Garg HP, J Prakash, Solar Energy: Fundamentals and Applications, Tata McGraw Hill
- Renewable Sources of Energy and Conversion Systems: N.K.Bansal and M.K.Kleeman.
- ECBC Code 2007, Bureau of Energy Efficiency, New Delhi Bureau of Energy Efficiency Publications-Rating System, TERI PUBLICATIONS – GRIHA Rating System, LEEDS Publications
- Systems Analysis for Sustainable Engineering: Theory and Applications, Ni bin Chang, Amazon.com
- John W Twidell and Anthony D Weir, Renewable Energy Resources, English Language Book Society (ELBS) 1996.
- D P Kothari, K C Singal, Rakesh Ranjan, Renewable Energy Sources and Emerging Technologies, Prentice Hall of India
- S.S Purohit , Green Technology-An approach for sustainable environment, Agrobios publication
- Mihelcic, J. R. and Zimmerman, J. B., Environmental Engineering, Wiley Publishers.
- Brennen, D. Sustainable Process Engineering, Pan Stanford Publishers.